Saturday 26 February 2011

Real fears, real help

 
zebra
a) There comes a day…
when whistling a merry tune or giving the thumbs up sign or looking on the sunny side is not enough – I’m really scared and I need God.
spider

b) What represents fear for me? 
  • Werewolves, vampires and zombies, a dangling spider?
  • Cancer, failure of treatment, relapse, death?
  • What are my core fears?
c) What holds me together in a time of crisis? 
  • What or who gives me a steadier pulse, inner poise and strength greater than my particular temperament or circumstance allow me?
 
worry
Here are steps in the right direction on how to start to deal with stress:
  1. Take stock of your fears and accumulated anxieties.
  2. Jot down your actual fears – you MAY have been blowing things out of proportion and much of the hand-wringing could be eliminated at this early stage.
  3. Note there is a  difference between feeling afraid and living in fear, being unduly dismayed and riddled with anxiety.
  4. Sometimes we even enjoy our worry – ah the drama of it, the attention!
And now down to what to do with those fears!
  •  1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety all your anxieties all your worries all your concerns on Jesus.  Yes, turn every worry over to him,  because he cares for you affectionately.
  •  John 14:1"Do not let your hearts be troubled distressed, agitated. Don't let this throw you. Trust in God; and rely on God trust also in me. (Jesus)
  • John 14: 27  Peace I leave with you; my own peace I give you and bequeath to you peace of mind and heart. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  Don’t allow yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and unsettled. (Jesus)
  • Psalm 34: 4 I sought the LORD, I looked for the Lord and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.  He took away all my fears. he freed me from my anxious fears.
  • Isaiah 41:10  So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed. Do not be afraid, do not look around you in terror, for I am your God. There's no need to fear for I'm your God.   I will give you strength and yes, for sure I help you;
    yes I will uphold you with my righteous good and victorious right hand. I'll hold you steady, I will keep a firm grip on you.
  • Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



  • Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your unsettled hearts.



  • Shalom!

    If you have a few more minutes, and you would like to read about sought-out fears, see  "A hairy bus ride" and other adrennalin-pumping, action-filled adventures, this is the link where you will find just that.