Wednesday 3 August 2011

A few "not so groundbreaking" thoughts on G+

images

Please bear in mind that I'm not a pro, but just an ordinary user that loves to communicate.

I don't  find G+’s circles and segmenting my personal contacts appealing at all.  The design is fun and it could work excellently for some.

On Twitter I follow many and I have 70 followers. Of followers and the followed I only know 3 contacts personally.   It’s a bit of a hit and a miss, but I do learn from those I follow and hope my followers benefit from time to time by my tweets.

On FaceBook I have 300 personally known contacts, with a sprinkling of  chosen organisations with the added advantage of lists and monitoring.

I don’t care for any of the games.  "Sure as cookies"  games and adverts are bound (by money) to find their way to G+

That leaves Hang-outs which offers multiple participation & could be something really good, but, for now. I’m happy with what Skype provides.

I don’t see the point of – is it called – Sparks when the whole wide web is at my finger-tips.

So for now……….my G+ circles will hang there suspended in cyber space.  I’ll add invites and as for the rest, keep my ears open and wait and see.

PS  There are photo's too and of course future ramping up of features.   Must say that image-display in Facebook is quite limited as in that all displays are one size - ie fine for a quick look, but with no option to double-click for a bigger look now and again.

Conclusion:  It's the big idea - ie how to do social for the world - that is probably the big headache.  And the competition with an established network - which, thankfully is not my burden.